Why is this the case? Five Reasons that Optimism is Associated with Success and Happiness:
- You find what you look for.
- Your vision motivates you (or not)
- Long-formed habits become your autopilot when things get bad (and life is full of struggles)
- Relationships are built with good-will and vision, and optimism is related to both of these (good relationships enable success and happiness)
- Optimism is related to intentionality over time (meaning that it reflects daily and long-term decisions)
- How can you be honestly optimistic? Genuinely optimistic people have a different type of character than mere manipulators.
- In some way, optimism cannot be faked.
- Great leaders make the best of what there is, and this can only be done if they have ‘eyes for the good‘
- Your lifetime habits WILL be passed down to your children.
“Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.”James Baldwin
Boiled Down: If you want to be successful and happy– and help your family and friends and community– you need to figure out a genuine way to be optimistic. This takes habitual intentionality, and always a mind to look for the good.
Five Dimensions to Consider:
- The World: Why is the world getting better? What opportunities are there to help?
- The Country: Why is the country getting better? What opportunities are there to help?
- Your Community: Why is the community getter? What opportunities are there to help?
- Your Family: How can you lead your family to prosperity?
- Your Own Character: What opportunities do you have to improve your character?
Related External Articles:
Related Internal Articles:
- “Optimism is the one quality more associated with success and happiness than any other.” — Brian Tracy
- You Are What You…. Do…Not What You Look Like (Dimensions of Character)
- You Become What You Glorify
I am a philosopher that is interested in what makes life worth living, what is worth pursuing, and how we can learn from the past. I believe that good philosophy benefits everyone and that there should be philosophers that present philosophy to those outside of the academy.