The classical idea of ‘Idiot’ really means ‘private person,’ detached from the society around you.
-Aristotle’s conception of human’s as ‘Political Animals’
-The trends are that things overwhelmingly getting better (poverty, education, literacy, child mortality, cures to disease)
-If you are a historical idiot (in the ancient Greek sense), you’ll definitely be really idiot, in the pejorative sense
Don’t want to be an intellectual idiot? Don’t be a historical idiot.
-Aside: Gratitude for our current time in human history
- Make Ideas Great for You
- Diagnosing and Correcting Racism: In Two Steps
- 5 Steps of a Rational Analysis for Voting, Controversial Issues, and General Thinking
- Controversy for Progress
- Reasons for Being Educated
- Aristotle’s Politics – Online Library of Liberty
- meaning of word “idiot”. where does it come from? – History Disclosure
I am a philosopher that is interested in what makes life worth living, what is worth pursuing, and how we can learn from the past. I believe that good philosophy benefits everyone and that there should be philosophers that present philosophy to those outside of the academy.